On Employing a Foreign Domestic Worker

Who can apply for a FDW ?

All Singapore citizens, Permanent Residents and expatriates (holding valid employment or work passes), having a valid reason to employ a Foreign Domestic Worker (FDW) at their residence, are eligible to apply but subject to Ministry of Manpower, Singapore, approval. For expatriate employers, they have to declare that their family members are living with them upon application.

What is the current levy?

Employers are required to pay a Foreign Domestic Worker (FDW) monthly levy of $300 (normal) or $60 (concessionary). Levy charges begin on the fifth day after the FDW arrival in Singapore, including the day of arrival.
Levy Payment should be made via GIRO only. The FDW’s Work Permit (WP) will be cancelled if the employer fails to maintain a valid GIRO account. Employers can view their levy bills online using the Internet Foreign Worker Levy Billing (iFWLB) System via SingPass.

What are the criteria to be eligible for a levy concession?

An employer is eligible for a levy concession for each FDW (max. for two FDWs for each household) if he/she satisfies conditions set by Ministry of Manpower, Singapore. Generally, a household that has a child/grandchild who is a Singapore Citizen below 16 years old or an elderly (Employer/Spouse/Parent/parent-in-law/grandparent/gandparent-in-law) who is a Singapore Citizen aged 67 years old or above may be eligible to apply for a levy concession but subject to Ministry of Manpower, Singapore approval. Besides, a household living with a person with disability may also be eligible for levy concession. For further details on conditions and application procedures, please contact us at 91512947

What are the key differences between an Indonesian FDW and a Filipino FDW in terms of service?

For Indonesian FDWs:
• They speak Indonesian language which is quite similar to the Malay language used here in Singapore. Some of them who are college graduates or had worked in Singapore before would be able to speak and understand simple English.
• Most of them are Muslims and do not eat pork. However most of them would not mind handling pork during their course of work if so required by their employers.
• Generally they are agreeable to work without day-off in-lieu of compensation of salary.

For Filipino FDWs:
• Generally they have a good command of English.
• Most of them are Catholics or Christians.
• Generally they require at least a day-off per month. whereas, some may work without day-off in lieu of compensation of salary.

What are the monthly salary range for Indonesian and Filipino FDWs?

For Indonesian FDWs, their monthly salary is $550 depending on their working experience and capabilities. For Filipino FDWs, their monthly salary ranges from $550 to $580 depending on their working experience and capabilities.

On FDW Current Policies

How the new FDW insurance policy affects a customer like me?

The employers are required to take care of their FDW medical expenses in Singapore. Therefore, all FDWs need to be covered with adequate insurance. This is compulsory before a work permit can be issued by Ministry of Manpower, Singapore. The new insurance policy requires the FDW to be covered with a minimum sum of S$15,000 per year for hospitalization claim. The sum is in line with the new hospitalization subsidy regulation. It is also compulsory for employers to take up a Personal Accident Insurance policy for their FDWs before they can employ the FDW. The minimum sum assured should be $60,000. Nevertheless, we would advise employers to upgrade the FDW insurance policy to an even better coverage to meet higher-than-expected bills arising from the FDW hospitalization expenses.

Can I repatriate the FDW without going through the agency?

Yes, the employer can repatriate the FDW without going through the agency as long as such action does not breach any of the clauses in the service agreement between the employer and the agency. However, we would strongly advise the employer to repatriate the said FDW via our agency, so that we could discharge your responsibilities (if any) to protect your interest.